“It’s a new year. Time to solve the problems of the world – and there are one or two – before it’s too late. I’ve been thinking about this for a while now, and it’s dawned on me that the only way we’re going to make the world a better place without having to plough through all that due process and red tape and so-called democracy is to start being better ourselves. And I’m not about to lay some guilt trip about carbon footprints or food miles on you. Those things are common sense. I actually think it’s time we adopted Derek Batey’s famous sign-off from Mr & Mrs:
Be nice to each other.
This is The Manners Manifesto. It’s time for a return to – or a formalisation of – good manners. Here’s how we do it:
- Say please and thank you
- Let that car in
- Be friendly to strangers
- Help old people off or on the bus
- Buy the Big Issue and give some change to the homeless
- Be polite to Jehovah’s Witnesses
- Never swear at people on the other end of helplines ever
- Leaving bags of stuff outside charity shops when they’re closed? Come on!
- Talk to people at the check-out
- Don’t swear when there are kids about